Buy Lametec Online, Lamotrigine is used to treat partial seizures (fits due to involvement of only one side of brain), generalized tonic-clonic seizure (fits due to involvement of entire brain), bipolar disorder (alternating periods of excitation and depression), and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (a disorder that causes fits and delays development in children).
How it works
Lamotrigine is an anticonvulsant drug that belongs to a class of medications called phenyltriazines. Lamotrigine works by stabilizing the hyper-excited nerve fibers, and slowing abnormal nerve impulses in brain.
What is lamotrigine?
- – Lamotrigine is an anti-epileptic medication, also called an anticonvulsant.?It is marketed and sold under various trade names throughout the world, some of which are Lamictal, Lamitor, and Lametec (made by Cipla).
- – Lamotrigine is used either alone or in combination with other medications to treat epileptic seizures in adults and children. Lamotrigine is also used to delay mood episodes in adults with bipolar disorder (manic depression).
- – Lamotrigine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about lamotrigine?
Lamotrigine may cause a severe or life-threatening skin rash, especially in children and in people who take too high of a starting a dose, or those who also take valproic acid (Depakene) or divalproex (Depakote).
Seek emergency medical attention if you have: fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Before taking Lamotrigine
You must not take Lamotrigine anti convulsant medication (Lamictal, Lamitor, Lametec) if you are allergic to it or other seizure medications. Ensure that you keep in mind all the precautions mentioned above before taking this medication and discuss about them with your doctor. Do not hesitate to ask any questions to your doctor or pharmacist which you may have regarding Lamotrigine. All medications come with patient leaflet. Read the instructions on them carefully.
How should I take Lamotrigine?
Take Lamotrigine (Lamictal, Lamitor, Lametec) strictly according to your doctor?s direction or according to the instructions on the medication label. Do not alter the dosage unless your doctor advises you to do so. Your doctor may occasionally change the dosage over several weeks or months to ensure proper treatment. Follow your doctor?s directions properly. Also, do not take this medication after the prescribed period is over. Avoid taking a high dose at the start of the treatment as doing so may increase the risk of contracting a severe and life threatening skin rash.
Avoid crushing, chewing, or breaking a regular Lamotrigine tablet and swallow it whole. While taking an orally disintegrating tablet of Lamotrigine, place the tablet on your tongue and motion it in your mouth. Let it dissolve fully and swallow several times as the tablet disintegrates. You may take some liquid to help swallow the disintegrated tablet. To take the chewable dispersible tablet, you may swallow it whole with a glass of water, or swallow if after chewing it. You can also disperse the tablet in a teaspoon of water or fruit juice and then drink it. Always store Lamotrigine in a cool and dry place.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Lamotrigine, take it as soon as you remember. Don?t take the missed dose if the time to take the next dose is almost up. Taking multiple doses near to each other can lead to excess medication in your body which can be harmful.
What if I overdose?
In case of an overdose of Lamotrigine, get emergency medical attention or call the?Doctor immetiately. Overdose may lead to blurred vision, co-ordination problems, increased seizures, light headedness, or fainting
Things and Activities to avoid while taking Lamotrigine
Lamotrigine may cause blurred vision and impact your thinking capability and reflexes which can make activities like driving difficult and intimidating. Be extra careful while indulging in such activities or keep them to minimum and do it when absolutely necessary while taking this medication.
Side Effects of Lamotrigine
Lamotrigine (Lamictal, Lamitor, Lametec) like all medications may have side effects. Some side effects of this medication are dizziness, drowsiness, headache, blurred or double vision, loss of coordination, shaking (tremor), nausea, vomiting, or upset stomach. If any of these conditions persist for too long and deteriorate, seek immediate medical attention.
Few people who take Lamotrigine are known to suffer from depression, suicidal thoughts or attempts, or any other mood or behavior based problems. Let your doctor know right away if you, your family member or caregiver witness any odd mood changes or behavior in you while taking Lamotrigine. A severe allergic reaction due to Lamotrigine usage is very rare and unlikely; but seek emergency medical attention if you get skin hives, breathing problems, or swelling in face, mouth, lips, or throat. These are not the only side effects of Lamotrigine anti convulsant medication. There may be others. Contact your doctor right away if you experience any serious side effects or if your condition worsens after taking Lamotrigine.
Lamotrigine Dosing Information
Lamotrigine dosage will be fixed by your doctor after examining you properly. Dosage may depend on a range of factors like age, s**, drug allergies, or seriousness of the condition among several other factors. Stick to your doctor?s prescription strictly.
Interaction with other Medications
Some medications can interact with Lamotrigine and reduce its effectiveness or cause severe effects. Let your doctor know if you already use any of these interacting medications: hormonal birth control pills, carbamazepine, divalproex, oxcarbazepine, primidone, phenytoin, rifampin, or valproic acid. The drugs mentioned here are not the only ones that can interact with Lamotrigine anti- convulsant medication. There may be others as well. Share the list of all type of medications and related products which you are using with your doctor and never start a new medication without his or her advice.
- – Do not start lamotrigine and consult your doctor if have kidney problems, Parkinson?s disease (movement disorder) have had rash or meningitis after taking lamotrigine or any medicines for epilepsy or bipolar disorder.
- – Ask for medical advice if you get suicidal thoughts, frequency of fits increases or worsens, or if you suffer from allergic reaction, life-threatening skin reaction, Stevens-Johnson syndrome (serious, widespread, allergic reaction with a rash involving the skin and internal lining of the organs), extensive peeling of skin (toxic epidermal necrolysis), ulcers in mouth, throat or genitals, sore mouth, red or swollen eyes, high temperature, flu like symptoms, drowsiness, swelling around face, swollen glands in neck, unexpected bleeding or bruising, sore throat, increased liver enzymes, increased white blood cells, reduced red blood cells, enlarged lymph after taking lamotrigine.
- – Lamotrigine is not a recommended treatment for bipolar disorder in children and adolescents under 18 years of age.
- – Do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you feel well as lamotrigine can cause dizziness and blurred vision.
- – Do not stop taking lamotrigine until your doctor advises to do so and do not stop it abruptly.
Frequently asked questions
- Is lamotrigine safe during pregnancy?
Lamotrigine can harm the fetus, it should only be used during pregnancy if the potential benefits justify the potential risk to the baby. Please follow your doctor?s advice regarding its use.
- Is lamotrigine safe during breastfeeding?
Lamotrigine passes into the breast milk and may not be safe for the breast-fed infant. It should only be used if no other alternative drug is available. Please follow your doctor?s advice regarding its use.
- Is lamotrigine safe or dangerous??
Lamotrigine is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
- Is lamotrigine the same as Lamictal?
Lamictal is the brand name of lamotrigine.
- Does lamotrigine get you high, cause insomnia, acne, anxiety, headache, diarrhea, erectile dysfunction or tremors?
Lamotrigine can cause insomnia, acne, anxiety, headache, diarrhea, erectile dysfunction and tremors.