What is this drug used for?
– It is used to treat diarrhea.
– It is used to prevent brain problems caused by very bad liver disease.
– It is used to treat irritable bowel syndrome.
– It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
Frequently reported side effects of this drug
– Stuffy nose
– Sore throat
– Muscle spasm
– Joint pain
– Abdominal pain
Other side effects of this drug: Talk with your doctor right away if you have any of these signs of:
– Swelling of arms or legs
– Abdominal edema
– Severe loss of strength and energy
– Shortness of breath
-?Clostridium difficile?(C. diff)-associated diarrhea like abdominal pain or cramps, severe diarrhea or watery stools, or bloody stools.
– Signs of a significant reaction like wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; seizures; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Note:?This is not a comprehensive list of all side effects. Talk to your doctor if you have questions.
Medication Safety Issues
RifAXIMin may be confused with rifAMPin
Storage and Stability
Store at 20?C to 25?C (68?F to 77?F); excursions permitted to 15?C to 30?C (59?F to 86?F).
Cardiovascular: Peripheral edema
Central nervous system: Depression, dizziness, fatigue, headache
Dermatological: Pruritus, skin rash
Gastrointestinal: Abdominal pain, nausea, pseudomembranous colitis
Hematologic & oncologic: Anemia
Hepatic: Ascites, increased serum ALT
Neuromuscular & skeletal: Arthralgia, increased creatine phosphokinase, muscle spasm
Respiratory: Dyspnea, epistaxis, nasopharyngitis
All indications:?Rare but important or life-threatening: Anaphylaxis,?Clostridium difficile?associated diarrhea, exfoliative dermatitis, hypersensitivity reaction